Wood flooring is a great way to add character, elegance, and class to a home.
There are many different types of wood flooring you can choose for your home, from engineered to solid wood, for more information on the types of floors available, read our blog here.
However, wear and tear are unavoidable, especially in high traffic areas such as the hallway, if you have heavy furniture, or if you have pets.
Here we run through what causes damage to your floors, how to prevent it, and wood floor repair.
Causes of Wood Floor Damage
Many things can damage your beautiful wooden floors, such as your pet’s nails scratching the floor when walking, furniture being dragged across the floor, or stones being stuck under your shoe for example
All of these can, unfortunately, damage the board, making it look scruffy and old.
Prevent Wood Floor Damage
There are plenty of ways to prevent damage beyond repair, such as:
- Use felt feet on the bottom of your furniture.
- When moving furniture around the house ensure that you pick it up and don’t drag it.
- Remove your shoes as you enter your property.
- Use a brush to sweep debris and dust off of your flooring, as it is a gentler method compared to vacuuming.
- Wipe your pets’ feet before they walk on the wooden floor.
- As soon as you notice any kind of spill on your floor, clean it up.
Wood Floor Water Damage
Water damage to your wooden floors can be from a number of causes, such as too much humidity in the room or constant spilling of water from a sink.
How to spot the signs of water damage:
- Cupping, which is when the floorboards expand due to moisture problems, and this pushes the boards together.
- Crowning is when the floorboards rise up in the middle of the floor.
- Buckling. This is very hard to miss and also irreversible, and happens when the floorboards raise up from the ground.
- Dark Spots can be a sign of mould or mildew.
- Gaps and cracks in the floorboards.
Sussex Floor Restoration
If your wood floors need a bit of TLC, look no further than Sussex Floor Restoration!
We provide floor restoration services to a host of different audiences including schools and other commercial buildings, we also work with domestic clients to improve the look of flooring in your home.
Best process: We only use the highest quality dustless floor sanding machines and abrasives. We will come to you to discuss the best options for you and your floor.
Best Treatments: Using modern, efficient methods and high-tech machinery we can guarantee a world-beating finish, every time. Find out more about our process here.
Best Service: At Sussex Floor Restoration we are committed to going above and beyond for our clients, and we take every care to ensure you get the outcome you deserve. Working with us is as smooth as our finishes.
Get in contact with Adam and his team today on 01444 810505 or fill out our form here.